Monday, October 18, 2010

Breastfeeding...

Last week I attended the breastfeeding class that the hospital I will be delivering at offered. I had no idea what I was expecting, but being a nurse I thought I at least had an idea. Yes, there was definitely information shared that I already knew, but there was also information given that I didn't know. Like, I knew that colostrum is different from the "normal" milk, but I didn't know that the breast milk at 3 weeks was different than 6 months which is different than 1 year or even 2 years. Yes, 2 years. Of course they said that they recommend breastfeeding into 2 years of age. I say of course because if you ask any lactation consultant they will tell you to breastfeed for as long as possible. I also learned that even if I pump let's say now, I would still be able to breastfeed the baby in 10 minutes. Did you know that it is normal for a breastfed baby to want to feed every 20 minutes! Yes, 20 minutes. I also learned that they no longer take the baby out of the room after delivery, they let you get skin to skin with the baby as soon as he/she is delivered. They also don't take the baby out of the room unless you ask, I as of right now plan on having the baby in the room as much as possible. It was also expressed that pacifiers, and bottles shouldn't be introduced until at least 2 months of age, this way to avoid nipple confusion. I was a little floored by that because I really don't mind the idea of giving her a pacifier, but I guess I will wait and see how it all goes. I am hoping to breastfeed for as long as possible, even pumping when I go back to work. I am hoping for at least a year, maybe longer. I think they mentioned that once the child reaches 6 months old, the bottles of breast milk can be given with meals and supplemented with water and juice. Hmm...maybe that is something else I can consider. All I know is that I have a lot of learning to do, and a lot of growing up to d. Hopefully...it will all click once she is here. In the meantime, I will continue to look at the book they gave us, and try to find respectable Internet information. If anyone out there has information, it is greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

breastfeeding is so awesome! I loved breastfeeding Aidyn! I will breastfeed longer when/if I have another.

I didn't give aidyn a paci either! He has one in some pictures, but he honestly had one VERY rarely if ever! And not in the beginning! It took a while to latch on, but it was SOOOO worth it :)

rockle said...

i can't believe that a blog post with the word "breast" in it so many times made it past the work internet filters lol.

mom said...

we just try it isnt always a good experience in the beginning and not everyone can do it including babies !!!! love mom