Tuesday, May 1, 2012

1/2 marathon recap continued

As I got onto the track, my feet felt like crap, but oh, how wonderful that track felt. I wanted to sprint, but Sarah told me I didn't have to rush it. To enjoy it, this was my victory lap! But, when I got to that last turn, onto the final home stretch, I turned it on. Full speed ahead. I think I even passed some racers and I honestly did not have any juice left in the tank. I was handed my finisher's medal and then draped with a silver blanket. That was it. The end. Sarah hugged me, and hugged me and hugged me. I had done it. Even better, going into the race my original goal was to finish it, but I also set a time goal of 2 and a half hours. I did better than that! I finished unofficially at 2:28:15. And I couldn't be happier!

As we made our way out of the very crowded finish line, Sarah gave me a bottle of water and then we walked over to the baggage claim so that I could get my belongings. Then we had to walk up an even bigger hill to get to the food. This is my first complaint...the food lines were too long. There should have been food lines for runners, and food lines for spectators. All the research that I have read says that as runners we should eat within 60 minutes of finishing a long run. How can that be done if the lines are never ending. Gripe done. Anyway, I had to say goodbye to Sarah so she could head back to Philly, and then I reuinted with my BCR friends.  Eventually, I did get food, and it was good, even though it was vegan. The black bean brownies were awesome! The sausage made from beans were so good, I didn't realize they weren't real sausage at first. The oranges were good but the cups of water were really gross.

Anyway, when all was said and done we had to walk down what felt like 100000 steps and then return to our cars. Walking to my friend's car for the return to the fair grounds where my ride had parked I almost got hit by a security van. Who would have thought that it wouldn't have been the race that almost killed me, but crossing the street.

All in all it was a good day. Now, to rest and start planning my next 1 or 2.

No comments: