Sunday, July 22, 2012

Feelings, nothing more than feelings

     Last week, an awesome thing happened to me. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and I think that when this thing happened last week,  it was what I needed at the time. The awesome thing was that these awesome ladies over at FitApproach, Jamie and Alyse thought I had what it takes to be a SweatPink Ambassador. I talked about it in my post on Monday, it means that I get to encourage other women to put themselves first and help them reach a healthy goal, whatever that healthy goal is. It is also an opportunity for us Ambassadors to get together and know that there is a group of ladies joined together with something common to continually encourage each other in achieving our goal, no matter what fitness goal that is. Because of this awesome title, I will be going to Bryant Park and we are doing a meet-up of all local SweatPink Ambassadors. I am excited. I have read blogs of some of these women, and they seem awesome. I cannot wait to continue to learn from them and continue to help others achieve whatever fitness goals they have.
   I never considered myself one who would be inspiring others. I sometimes I have doubts in my own mind, that I am doing the right thing. That I AM a runner. On Saturdays, I usually run with a group of friends known as Breakfast Club Runners. If anyone is in the area and wants to run with a group of awesome runners (all abilities, all speeds, all various mileage) please look us up on Facebook and join the fun! Our location changes week to week, and it is always posted by Thursday where we are going. I promise, you won't be disappointed.  The best part of it all, we go to BREAKFAST as a group together!! Even if you aren't local, I recommend that you try to find a running club in your area.  I wish I would have known about this club before I ran my first 5K last November.  Looking back, and moving forward, I recommend to people to run with a group of people for a number of reasons.
  1. You will get used to running with someone other than yourself
  2. You will get used to running with people faster and slower than yourself
  3. You will get used to running with people who are running at you in the same space that you are running
  4. You will meet a lot of other runners and these runners can teach you things that they have learned that will help your running.
I always tell people to try it.  Even if they wait until the month before their race, it is important to get used to running with other people.  My first race, I hadn't met BCR yet. I remember standing in the pack of runners almost ready to cry.  I was invading other people's space, they were invading mine. The gun went off and I had to dodge people, go around slower runners, stuff like that, all kinds of stuff that was foreign to me.  I had to learn how to pace myself (I SO TOTALLY BLEW THIS ONE!!) I did not enjoy the experience as I wish I would have. Now, knowing what I do now, I really stress running with others before your race.
  Yesterday, I was asked to pace someone. ME!?!?! I pace my good friend Stef as she is now a running addict, but by pacing her, I am pushing myself, and making me a stronger runner.  I am kinda slower right now than I was in April because I am coming back from an IT Band injury and never thought I would pace an experienced runner from this group and I did just that. I was flattered and humbled all at the same time. I guess my hard work is paying off! Because of pacing, I was able to go the distance I had originally wanted, and didn't let myself settle for a comfort distance. I got to learn more about this person, and I made sure he (HI Frank!) wasn't pushing himself so he can get back to racing.  I know he misses it, and we miss having him at the races.  Later in the day, I received a text from a very good friend of mine.  She is not a runner at all. She will be the first to admit it.  However, last weekend she did the Spartan race, and while she would be the first to admit that she wasn't prepared, she was determined to finish it. AND she did!! She texted me and asked me to help her get ready for a half marathon in 6 weeks.  I texted back saying that I really didn't think that was a good goal.  I told her that it took me 12 weeks to prepare for my half marathon, and that I was already running before I started training.  So I told her that we should pick one in Oct or Nov and that I would try to get her ready for that.  I then also told her that in the meantime we will start doing other races, starting with 5Ks, and build up the races before the half.  I think that it is very important to set realistic goals, and if you don't run at all, going from nothing to 13.1 miles is hard, not impossible, hard, but that doing it in 6 weeks might mean failure.  I do not believe in letting my friends do things that are not realistic.  If I allow that, what kind of friend am I? I am supposed to support them and help them, wouldn't I be doing the opposite of just that if I had let her sign up for a half marathon with inadequate time to train?!?! What did I hope she gained from our conversation...
  1. Dream big, but dream realistically.  If you dream you want to do a half marathon, let's do it, but let's make sure we have enough time so that you don't injure yourself
  2. Don't rush the process. Rome wasn't built in a day, you can't expect to become a runner overnight.  Good things come to those who wait.
  3. Enjoy every moment.  If you don't enjoy what you are doing, you won't do it.  If you don't enjoy running, there is no way you will do it for 3.1 miles, let alone 13.1.
  4. Friendship brings people together.  Being some one's friend is awesome. Having them come to you for help is very humbling, but you also sometimes have to be their brain.  Dreams clog their thinking (in a good way) so sometimes you have to take their enthusiasm and just portray it a different way.
  5. Don't tell them they cannot do something. Tell them they can, just not to expect instant results. (See #2).
I am very humbled by the support I am getting from my family and friends, and now by the support I am giving them. I never thought I would be one for them to come too for running guidance, and now as a SweatPink Ambassador I believe I will be able to help many others. I needed this "title" if you will. It put the wind back in my sail.  It helped me get rid of the cobwebs of doubt that built up from 6 weeks of not being able to run.  It has helped me love running again, and hopefully, I will be able to help others start running and love running like I do.  If you need any help, know someone who you think would love running or just want me to run a race with you, you know you can always count on me!
Pinned Image
copied from Pintrest
Happy Running!

No comments: